In His Grip

History


Peace Church.

On April 3, 1883, members of the German Evangelical Society of North America immigrated from Chicago and started the town of New Salem, North Dakota.

They held an outdoor service on April 8, 1883. The first church known as the “Little Church” was built and dedicated in the fall of 1883. On June 13, 1883 the congregation was organized and named Deutsches Evangelische Friedens Gemeinde (German Evangelical Peace Church).

As the membership grew, it was decided to build a new church known as the “Big Church”. The cornerstone was laid on June 5, 1898 and the dedication was on October 23, 1898. The “Little Church” was used for Sunday School. With membership still growing, the present church was built and dedicated on November 5, 1950.

In 1957 the Peace Church became a United Church of Christ Church, when the Evangelical and Reformed Church merged with the Congregational Christian Church. In March of 1994 the Peace Church voted to remove itself from the United Church of Christ denomination and become an independent church.

An educational wing was added in 1977. The original “Little Church” became the Buehler-Larson Funeral Chapel.

The Peace Church held a special service on June 1, 2008 to celebrate its 125th Anniversary.